BAHA Preservation Awards 2011
Blum Hall, north elevation (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2011)
Drawing Building (now Richard C. Blum Hall)
Hearst Avenue, U.C. Campus
(John Galen Howard, 1913)
Graced with banks of tall, north-facing windows, the shingled Arts & Crafts Drawing Building began life as an annex to the adjacent Architecture Building, known to all as the Ark (now North Gate Hall). The drawing classes were held here. Later, the building was assigned to the College of Engineering, and its last reincarnation was as the Naval Architecture Building. Since 1982, its been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, a listing that has been instrumental in preserving its original footprint, wood finishes, and significant architectural details.
On 8 October 2010, the building reopened as a component of Richard C. Blum Hall, the new home of the Blum Center for Developing Economies. As part of the construction project, the Drawing Building was restored and combined with a new wing in neo-Craftsman style. The new wing incorporates natural materials such as western red cedar and reclaimed teak. Although thoroughly modern, it is a handsome and compatible mate for John Galen Howards landmark.
Blum Hall, south elevation (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2011)
Heinz House, before (courtesy of Steven Schofield)
Heinz House, after (photo: Carrie Olson, 2011)
Mary Heinz House
2724 Alcatraz Avenue
This gable-roofed, shingled house received a rear addition that is a seamless elongation of the original structure. The new windows match the original ones, and the siding is without any indication of a joint. The pop-out on the east fašade looks as if it were original to the building. We consider this old/new house as a solid preservation success.
Mohr House, before (courtesy of Michael Butler)
Mohr House, after (photo: Carrie Olson, 2011)
George L. Mohr House
1929 Parker Street
The Mohr House is a shining example of a seamless rear addition in the talented hands of its owner/contractor/craftsman. All of the detailing on the exterior of the original house, along with the carefully sited new double-hung windows and perfectly matched siding, gives no hint that the house has been expanded about 15 feet. Even the Citys building inspector had high praise for the craftsmanship.
Two prominent rows of trim, egg-and-dart and dentils, circled the original roofline just under the wide overhang. They were duplicated via the same cast-plaster method used in the original structure. The new wide-board/narrow-board siding is indistinguishable from the old, and the whole is panited a soft sage green with white accents.
Careful thought, design, and expert craftsmanship enhanced this home and readied it for its second century.
Copyright © 2011 BAHA. All rights reserved.