BAHA Preservation Awards 2012
Yosemite Road & Indian Trail, circa 1910 (courtesy Berkeley Historical Society)
Thousand Oaks Urn Project
Great Stone Face Park, Triangle Park & Indian Trail
Historic urn restoration & replication
When John Hopkins Spring opened Thousand Oaks in 1909, he branded his new subdivision by placing 20 or more large, Maxfield Parrish-style urns around the tract. A hundred years later, only one original urnat Indian Trail and The Alamedaremained.
Since 2003, members of the Thousand Oaks Neighborhood Association have raised over $20,000 with the aim of restoring the surviving urn and recreating new ones. In 2009, a $7,600 grant from the U.C. Chancellors Community Partnership Fund supplemented the grass roots donations, giving the project a boost.
The surviving urn (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2007)
A mold was made from the surviving urn, and its missing lip was recreated by artist Sarita Waite, who had sculpted the bears at theáMarin Circle Fountain. U.C. Landscape Architect Jim Horner assisted in the selection of a fabricator with extensive historic preservation experience, and two new urns were cast. In August 2011, they were placed in Great Stoneface Park and in a small triangle park at intersection of The Alameda and Yosemite Road.
New urn at Great Stoneface Park (photo: Anthony Bruce, 2011)
New urn at The Alameda & Yosemite Rd. (photo courtesy of TONA)
Bancroft House, before
2334 Bancroft Way
(H.P. Nelson, builder, 1902)
Bancroft House, after (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2012)
A century ago, streets like Durant Avenue and Bancroft Way were lined with substantial homes, many of them (like BAHAs McCreary-Greer House) built in the Colonial Revival style. Bancroft House (formerly Canterbury House), is one of a diminishing stock of survivors.
Built for J.C. McMullen, the four-unit apartment house was designed to appear as twin Colonial Revival houses, conforming to the scale and style of the neighboring houses. In its most recent incarnation, it housed foreign and American students who were part of the Canterbury Foundation’s exchange program. As is so often the case with somewhat marginal student housing, the property deteriorated.
Convinced that this property could be restored, developers Evan McDonald and Chris Hudson, with architect Barbara Winslow of JSWD Architects, did it right.
Detail, Bancroft House (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2012)
Suckling House (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2012)
Loretta & Alfred E. Suckling House
2844 Woolsey Street
(Charles O. Clausen, 1911)
Exterior restoration & garden design
Prolific San Francisco architect Charles Oliver Clausen designed this striking house at the tender age of 25. His clients, the mysterious Sucklings, lived here for only a few years, disappearing just as suddenly as they had appeared.
Over the years, the house changed hands and was divided into four apartments. The current owners first saw it in September 2009, while looking for a small pied-Ó-terre for their yearly Berkeley visits.áThe property had just been foreclosed by a bank after the previous owners had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on misdirected attempts at improvements over several years.
Painstaking corrective reconstruction and restoration included rebuilding or replacing all the diamond leaded glass windows to retain historic authenticity. The formerly disastrous “construction yard” grounds enclosed by an awkward 18-inch-thick, 30-cubic-yard concrete wall were transformed by Robert Trachtenberg into graceful garden spaces, artfully modulated to provide semi-private outdoor gathering areas for the residents. Sidewalk plantings enhance this handsome corner property and the busy intersection on which it stands.
Suckling House garden (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2012)
Hardy House (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2012)
Helen & Charles C. Hardy House
2909 Ashby Avenue
(Oliver W. Barnes, builder, from a plan by Wolfe & McKenzie, 1910)
New Arts & Crafts kitchen
Contractor Oliver W. Barnes enjoyed a very busy and very brief Berkeley career, almost entirely centered on the 2900 blocks of Ashby Avenue and Russell Street. In 1910, he built eight speculative houses on these streets, often using plans from pattern books published by well-known architects such as Henry L. Wilson and Alfred E. Gwynne of Los Angeles or Wolfe & McKenzie of San Jose.
The handsome half-timbered bungalow at 2909 Ashby Avenue was the home of a machinery manufacturer whose son went on to become a celebrated professor of physics at MIT.
Before (courtesy of Jerri Holan)
After (courtesy of Jerri Holan)
Like the Hardys, the current owners have lived here for several decades. The front and side fašades remain unaltered, but an overhaul of the rear half of the main floor by architect Jerri Holan made possible a more functional layout with a larger kitchen facing the garden.
An old hutch original to the kitchen was refurbished, while new ceiling box beams echo existing beams in the living and dining rooms. Unique window and door casings were replicated from existing ones throughout the house and give the kitchen its vintage character. Soapstone, marble, and butcher-block counters serve different tasks, and the linoleum floor enhances the period ambiance.
Courtesy of Jerri Holan
Copyright © 2012 BAHA. All rights reserved.