BAHA Preservation Awards 2015
William L. Bunker House, before
William L. Bunker House
67 Parkside Drive
(Harry C. Knight, designer-builder, 1909; altered 1932 & 1940)
William L. Bunker House, after (photo: Carrie Olson, 2015)
Awarded for Exterior Renovation
Built in 1909 for the chief engineer of the S.S. Manchuria, of the Pacific Mail Steamship Company, this house was expanded and altered several times over the years, and its shingled exterior was replaced with stucco cladding. When the current owners acquired the house in 2012, its old Arts & Crafts styling could barely be recognized.
In this project, the aim was to return the house to its original appearance. Gone is the stucco; clear-stained shingles provide the cladding. The corner bay window received new board-and-batten cladding, a hip roof and contrasting color, lending interest and grace to a formerly dull fašade. Inappropriate shutters were removed from the beautiful diamond-paned windows. Details such as a flaring wall skirt over the new raised basement and a restyled front gable help break up the formerly ungainly massing. Whereas the previous porch was merely tacked on to the house, the new one blends seamlessly into the whole.
The front garden and attractive fencing add a beautiful accent to the street frontage.
Richard D. Felt House, before
Richard D. Felt House, after (photo: Carrie Olson, 2015)
Richard D. Felt Speculative House
2316 Jefferson Avenue
(Richard D. Felt, builder, 1922)
Awarded for Respectful Lower Addition
Contractor Richard D. Felt was a prolific developer who built many speculative houses in Berkeley during the 1920s. Some of thse houses were built in partnership with his brother Francis under the name Felt Bros., others were his own projects. On the 2300 block of Jefferson Street alone, Felt constructed in 1922 and ’23 eight one-story stucco bungalows, each one slightly different from its brethren.
The new kitchen (photo: Carrie Olson, 2015)
Without changing their home’s face to their neighborhood, the current owners created their dream dwelling, designed for sustainable energy use and comfort. Rather than build a second story to accommodate their needs, they went underground. The design of the addition manages to take full advantage of the house’s western exposure, and the outcome is as light and airy as a floor fully above ground. A new living space, bedroom, bathroom, and workshop are on the lower floor, while a new kitchen was put in above.
The house boasts not only solar electrical and water, but there is a very unique feature behind the garage— a 3,000-gallon tank that catches all the water run off the roof.
The Hillside Club (courtesy of the Hillside Club)
The Hillside Club
2286 Cedar Street
(John White, architect, 1924)
Awarded for Careful Renovation and Restoration
This club building, a City of Berkeley Landmark, was designed by Bernard Maybeck’s brother-in-law, John White, to replace the 1906 Maybeck-designed clubhouse that had been lost in the 1923 Berkeley Hills fire. Having served its members and the community for 90 years, the building was in need of many repairs and upgrades.
The first challenge was installing the required sprinkler system while making it as invisible as possible. Inside, no pipes and valves can be seen—the only visible evidence is in the porch, above the front door.
The sprinkler valves are almost invisible. (photo: Carrie Olson, 2015)
The next project was to renovate the landscaping, including native plants, a brick walkway, new stairs to the second exit, and a bench, designed by Julia Morgan for Civic Center Park, and lovingly recreated.
The front garden (photo: Carrie Olson, 2015)
The floor in this main hall were refinished this past year, a job that included leveling well beyond what is normally required to refinish a floor, as building had undergone significant settling since it’s been placed on the foundations of the older clubhouse.
Lastly, the bathrooms were enlarged and modernized within the constraints of keeping the adjacent hallway unaltered. While the old bathrooms were dated and cramped, the new ones are spacious and accommodating for the many events taking place here.
Copyright © 2015 BAHA. All rights reserved.