BAHA Preservation Awards 2015
Church of the Good Shepherd (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2007)
Church of the Good Shepherd
1823 9th Street
(Charles Bugbee, architect, 1878)
Awarded for Restoration
The beloved Church of the Good Shepherd is the oldest church building standing in Berkeley, as well as the oldest in continuous use by its founding congregation in the entire East Bay. It was designated a City of Berkeley Landmark in 1975, one of the first nine buildings in town to be so honored.
Before the fire (courtesy of Good Shepherd Church)
After the fire (courtesy of Ira Serkes)
On Saturday night, 20 October 2012, the church suffered severe fire damage as a two-alarm fire broke out in the sacristy and destroyed it. The church’s interior was badly burnt, and much of the sanctuary was gutted, but the exterior largely survived. Restoration included updates that facilitated the current pastoral and community activities of the clergy and congregation.
Where possible, surviving elements of the church were incorporated into the building; salvaged floor boards were mingled with the manufactured-to-match new boards. The bench behind the altar was constructed from salvaged lumber. The stained glass window of the Good Shepherd behind the altar, destroyed in the fire, was rebuilt. A new window commemorating the fire was installed.
A modern parish and community office replaced the burnt sacristy. The church reopened on Sunday, 21 September 2014.
The phoenix rises (courtesy of Good Shepherd Church)
Senior Women’s Hall
Julia Morgan Hall (Girton Hall)
University of California Botanical Garden
(Julia Morgan, architect, 1911)
Julia Morgan Hall in the U.C. Botanical Garden (photo: Siegel & Strain)
Awarded for Restoration
It was a dilemma: the university needed the spot where a small, old redwood structure was standing. Who wanted the Julia Morgan–designed Girton Hall, originally a senior women’s social hall and most recently the home of a day-care center on campus? The U.C. Botanical Garden came to the rescue, and now the handsomely restored building—renamed Julia Morgan Hall—stands prominently in the garden. But what a task! To move the structure, it was was necessary to cut it in four parts and truck them up Centennial Drive, with a workman watching out for the tree overhangs.
Interior after restoration (photo: Siegel & Strain)
Ground was leveled, and a new foundation poured. Meeting ADA specifications was paramount—an accessible entrance and accessible level floor were made to flow throughout; the bathrooms and the kitchen all needed considerations. The wooden interior—floor, walls, seating—and the fireplace were restored. A deck with views out to the gardens and the west was added. A modern audiovisual system and Internet connection were installed. The hall that began life as a social space has been elegantly returned to its original function and in a new, prominent position, still part of the university grounds.
Campanile Esplanade (photo: Kevin Ho Nguyen, U.C. Berkeley)
University of California campus
(John Galen Howard, architect, 1916)
Awarded for Renovation and Restoration
This is a season for centennials on the Berkeley campus. The Campanile, as the Jane K. Sather Tower is familiarly known, is celebrating its one-hundredth birthday this year, followed by the esplanade below, with its array of London plane trees that traveled across the bay at the close of the Panama Pacific International Exposition in 1915.
Although lacking the fame and dramatic profile of Sather Tower, the esplanade is the podium on which the Campanile stands, the essential anchor that visually stabilizes it on its campus hillside. It is also the welcoming plaza where students and visitors can enter the tower or enjoy the beautiful vista to the Golden Gate. When we stand on it, we are at the heart of the university.
But even timeless symbols can suffer with age. Now, thanks to a team of landscape architects and craftsmen, the Campanile setting has been prepared for another century. The pavement bricks were lifted one by one, marked and replaced in their original patterns on a carefully integrated bed, solving the problems of poor drainage and tripping hazards. Decaying redwood headers that framed the plantings were replaced with Sierra White granite edging, the same granite that sheaths the Campanile itself.
Decorative elements like the Mitchell Fountain were restored. And within this refreshed hardscape, white roses and other shrubs were introduced. John Galen Howard, the architect of the esplanade, would rejoice to see his design reborn with such respect and devoted care.
Fish-Clark House (photo: Carrie Olson, 2015)
1545 Dwight Way
(A.H. Broad, designer-builder, 1883)
Awarded for Exterior Renovation
This Stick-Eastlake Victorian was one of the earliest houses to go up in the Spaulding Tract, which at the time was largely rural. It was built by the prolific Berkeley contractor, pioneer civic figure, and amateur artist Alphonso Herman Broad for A.C. Fish of San Francisco. Mr. Fish remained here only a brief while (he might have been the same A.C. Fish who engaged in mining and orange growing in Southern California several years later), and within a year or two, the house was acquired by William Clark, owner of the Pacific Spring and Mattress Company of San Francisco, and his wife Lillie. The Clarks lived here for twelve years with their numerous children and servants. In addition to commuting to San Francisco, Clark operated this property as a typical Victorian mini-farm.
In 1919, the house was converted into six apartments. For the next 40 years, the building was owned by absentee landlords. In the 1960s, the house was co-owned by Ralph Anspach, future SFSU professor of Economics and author of the board game Anti-Monopoly. In 1971, the house became the home of Village of Arts and Ideas. Lee Felsenstein of the Community Memory Project rented an office here in 1974. The house was sold again in 1980, serving a Christian community called The Ark. From 2002 until early 2010, it was home to S.T.E.P.S. (Sobriety Through Education and Peer Support).
Under the present ownership, the house was renovated, and its exterior was repainted.
Copyright © 2015 BAHA. All rights reserved.