BAHA Preservation Awards 2016
Tellefsen Hall, before (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004)
Tellefsen Hall (Weltevreden)
1755 Le Roy Avenue
(A.C. Schweinfurth, architect, 1896)
Tellefsen Hall, after (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2016)
Commended for New Windows, Doors & Paint
One of Berkeley’s most celebrated residences of the early 20th century, Weltevreden was a unique clinker-brick structure featuring a stepped gable in the Dutch style. In the mid-1920s, the building became a fraternity house, and by the mid-1950s it was condemned and facing demolition. Architect Michael Goodman drastically altered it in 1957, lopping off the gables and building two stucco-clad floors in their stead.
The home of the University of California Marching Band since 1973, Tellefsen Hall underwent a seismic upgrade in 2000 that required removal and reinstallation of the clinker-brick cladding. At that time, the upper-story dormitory and bathroom windows were replaced with vinyl. By 2015, 90% of the windows were inoperable and required replacement.
Fortunately, the replacements (62 of them!) are sturdy, high-quality aluminum windows with divided lights. Their installation also provided an opportunity to replace the humdrum metal entry doors with a pair of custom mahogany doors and matching sidelights, designed to recapture the elegance of the once imposing residence.
The stucco walls, previously painted a mousy rose, received a warm color that complements the brick and wood.
See additional photos on the architect’s website.
The Ortman House, before (Google Street View)
Henry J. Ortman House
1824 Rose Street
(Charles Westwood, designer & builder, 1909)
The Ortman House, after (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2016)
Commended for Renovation
The Ortman House, 1940 (Ormsby Donogh files, BAHA archives)
Originally the home of a dairy farmer, this rustic house with its charming diamond-paned windows has been owned by one family since 1955. Over the years, the owners made various alterations that weren’t altogether in harmony with the original features and compromised the building’s historic integrity. Most notable among these was the expansion of the attic into a third floor for rental purposes, removal of a small attic balcony, and transformation of the open front porch, including removal of character-defining features and enclosure with sliding windows.
The porch, before and after renovation (collage courtesy of the owners)
When the house was left to the next generation, the offspring set about righting the wrongs of the past. By now, the haphazardly transformed front porch on the west façade was dilapidated. The remodeled porch features tapered columns, flared siding, detailed beam-ends, and double-hung wooden windows that replicate the original diamond-paned ones in the rest of the house. Roof brackets that were removed years ago from the upper roof have been reintroduced. The west façade now proudly anchors the house to its prominent neighborhood corner.
The new details blend seamlessly into the original fabric of the house, handsome once again.
The Hunt House in 2013 (Grubb Co.)
Thomas F. Hunt House
53 Domingo Avenue
(Bernard Maybeck, architect, 1915)
The reshingled Hunt House (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2016)
Commended for Reshingling
Presenting its narrow side to the street, this three-story Dutch Colonial Revival residence reveals only a small facet of its true appearance. Designed for the Dean of the College of Agriculture at the University of California, the house was built on the Northside, at 1800 Spruce Street, where it appeared far lower and far more ornate than it does now. In 1927, it gained a worthy neighbor across the street in the form of Normandy Village.
The Hunt House in its original location on Spruce Street (BAHA archives)
By the 1960s, development pressures had intensified around the campus, and the Hunt House was moved to its present location in 1964. Here it was turned 90 degrees to fit the narrow lot, raised to allow for a new ground floor, and painted gray and blue.
The Hunt House on the move (photo courtesy of Anthony Bruce)
In recent years, the shingles had begun to leak. It turned out that Maybeck designed the cladding with five layers of shingles, which were impossible to save and also impossible to replicate.
New owners sought and found a creative solutions to the problem. The expanses of wall where five layers of shingles would not be visible received a plywood underlayer. Locations where all the shingle layers would be visible, e.g., around doors and windows, received the full five layers.
BAHA commends the dedication and ingenuity of this project, which has returned a venerable Maybeck house closer to its original appearance.
The original Barrett House (Ormsby Donogh files, BAHA archives)
Theodore R. Barrett House
1322 Euclid Avenue
(Emerald E. Teicheira designer & builder, 1924; demolished 2005)
The rebuilt house (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2016)
Commended for Reconstruction
For 80 years, the flat-roofed Mediterranean-style Barrett House stood on Euclid Avenue, in the neighborhood south of the Rose Garden. Its last owner, a Slavic languages expert, died in 2001, aged 91. The house stood empty for a year, until the current owners acquired it from the dead woman’s estate in 2002.
Before too long it became evident that the house was in an advanced state of deterioration, and repairing it would have proven prohibitively expensive. The cost of building the house from scratch was lower than the cost of renovation, and that is what the new owners chose to do.
They replicated the general front façade, the arched window niches and pilasters, and the window placement, adding a front stoop and door. The new roof is hipped and clad in clay tiles, and the stucco walls are tinted in hues of burnt Sienna, evoking the Mediterranean atmosphere of the vanished house.
Copyright © 2016 BAHA. All rights reserved.