Berkeley Landmarks :: 2002 Designations
  


Berkeley Landmarks designated in 2002



Mathewson Studio, La Loma Park Historic District
(photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004)

244.
La Loma Park Historic District
La Loma Avenue between La Vereda Road & Buena Vista Way
Designated: 6 May 2002

Berkeley’s fourth Historic District is notable for its ensemble of distinctive Bay Region Tradition homes built on property developed by architect Bernard Maybeck on one of Berkeley’s hillside streets. The 13 designated homes include the famed Lawson house (Bernard Maybeck, 1907–08), Mathewson studio (Bernard Maybeck, 1915), Bishop house (Ernest Coxhead, 1923), and Ballantine house (John Ballantine, 1924).




UC Theater
 
Photo: Johnny Hawkins/Daily Cal, 2001

245.
UC Theater
James W. Plachek (1916)
2036 University Avenue
Designated: 6 May 2002

The UC was part of a wave of movie-theater construction in Berkeley—beginning in 1911—that replaced the nickelodeons with large, solidly-built auditoriums designed specifically for showing films. The UC is the best preserved, still retaining its single theater, paneled Craftsman style lobby, and exterior terra cotta heraldic ornaments. Plachek’s buildings helped to establish Downtown’s early twentieth century character.




McGregor House (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004)

246.
McGregor House
Julia Morgan (c. 1920)
1962 Yosemite Road
Designated: 3 June 2002

This well-preserved example of Julia Morgan’s work is sited on a slope in Thousand Oaks to catch the sun and the view. With its Tudor exterior and Craftsman interior, the McGregor house is a transition between the rustic designs of the early part of Miss Morgan’s career and her more formal later work.



Corporation Yard
 
Photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004

247.
City of Berkeley Corporation Yard
Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr. (1916)
1326 Allston Way
Designated: 1 July 2002

The City of Berkeley established a Corporation yard in 1913 to meet the needs of the City to maintain its growing infrastructure. Three years later, City Architect Walter Ratcliff designed the English style main structure, which reflects the high standards then in vogue for civic architecture.



Jeffress House
 
Photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004

248.
Jeffress House
John Hudson Thomas (1920)
2944 Elmwood Court
Structure of Merit
Designated: 1 July 2002

An exceptional and unique example of John Hudson Thomas’ work, the Jeffress house, with its steep roof and artfully arranged assemblage of bay windows, was carefully sited at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac overlooking Claremont Reservoir.



J.B. Tufts House (photo: BAHA archives)
 
Courtyard (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004)
 
Garage (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004)

249.
J.B. Tufts House (Tufts House #3)
Bernard Maybeck (1931)
2733 Buena Vista Way
Designated: 1 July 2002

An important contributor to the architecturally significant La Loma Park neighborhood, notable for its cluster of Maybeck-designed houses, the Tufts house is a beautiful example of Maybeck’s creative and innovative use of traditional building techniques.



Maybeck Cottage (photo courtesy of Jacomena Maybeck)

250.
Maybeck Cottage
Bernard Maybeck (1924)
1 Maybeck Twin Drive
Designated: 9 December 2002

After the 1923 Fire, Maybeck experimented with fireproof building materials, building this Bubblestone concrete cottage on an expansive garden site off Buena Vista Way for himself and his wife. Maybeck lived in the cottage at the time of his death in 1957.



Maybeck Cottage, 2002
 
Bubblestone detail

251.
Carrick House & Dunster Cottages
Adolph Kschieschang, builder (1885)
1418 Spruce Street
Designated: 9 December 2002

The Carrick house is an early home that adds a distinct historic character to the Antisell Tract. Designed by an early Berkeley builder, who was a Civil War veteran and an elected Town Trustee, it is an excellent example of a Stick-Eastlake cottage.



Dunster Cottages (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004)
 
Carrick House (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004)

  

Copyright © 2003–2016 Daniella Thompson & BAHA. All rights reserved.