Berkeley Landmarks :: 2019 Designations
  


Berkeley Landmarks designated in 2019




Ormsby Donogh files, BAHA archives

333.
Las Casitas Apartments
William Alexander Doctor (1927–1928)
1619 Walnut Street
Structure of Merit
Designated: 6 June 2019


Photo: Daniella Thompson, 2020

This Spanish Eclectic apartment building was an investment property built by William Irving Rush (1861–1946), a Pennsylvania-born contractor and real-estate dealer. The architect, William A. Doctor (1871–1949), a Canadian immigrant, had already designed for Rush a very similar apartment building, called Sunny Gables (1925), at 1631–1633 Walnut Street.

The distinguishing features of Las Casitas Apartments include a flat roof with parapet walls, narrow tile-covered shed roofs with regularly laid tapered Mission-style tile, asymmetrical façade, textured stucco walls, stained-glass windows, decorative window grills, decorative iron sconces and door knockers, and arcaded walkways.

The landmark application and associated reports are accessible online.




The Blood House in 1931 (courtesy of Ratcliff Architects)

334.
George D. & Ellen G. Blood Residence
Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr. (1929)
1495 Euclid Avenue/2526 Hawthorne Terrace
Designated: 2 July 2019

This sprawling property includes two distinctive residential buildings—a very large main house at 1495 Euclid Avenue and a romantic-looking carriage house at 2526 Hawthorne Terrace. Designed in the Tudor Revival style, the ensemble presents an imposing, manor-like appearance that dominates its block.

Both buildings feature steeply pitched slate roofs, half-timbering, unpainted stone masonry, and cut limestone cladding.

The buildings were constructed for George Deroy Blook, a mining engineer, and his wife, Elle Sarah, née Gray, who lived here until their respective deaths in the early 1940s.




Marsh-Sperry House (BAHA)

335.
Marsh-Sperry House
Henry Higby Gutterson (1924)
1440 Hawthorne Terrace
Designated: 5 September 2019


Sperry-McLaughlin House (Google Street View)

336.
Sperry-McLaughlin House
Henry Higby Gutterson (1924)
1450 Hawthorne Terrace
Designated: 5 September 2019

On 17 September 1923, a fire decimated Berkeley’s Northside. Much of Hawthorne Terrace’s housing stock was obliterated in the fire, enabling James Clarence Sperry (1874–1942), a Magnavox executive, retired oil expert, and early leader in the Save the Redwoods League, to acquire three quarters of an acre bordering on Hawthorne Terrace, Vine Street, and Scenic Avenue. Sperry commissioned Henry Gutterson, who had already designed two other houses across the street, to create a family compound, consisting of two residences linked by a garage, at the eastern end of the parcel. Sperry and his family resided in the southern house (1450), while the northern house (1440) was owned and occupied by Sperry’s widowed sister, Marion Preston Marsh (1871–1959). Their brother, Willard F. Sperry, and his wife lived with Marion. On the western slope of the parcel, the two houses shared an expansive garden designed by landscape architect Mabel Symmes.

In the 1950s, the Sperry home was acquired by U.C. Regent Prof. Donald Hamilton McLaughlin (1891–1984) and his wife Sylvia (1916–2016). She would go on to co-found Save the Bay, Urban Care, and Citizens for East Shore Parks, and become known as the Grand Dame of environmentalism.

The landmark applications and associated reports are accessible online.




  

Copyright © 2019–2023 BAHA. All rights reserved.