Immigrants sons established local tanning industry
Manasse-Block Tannery. This building at 1314 Fourth St. was constructed in 1908. It was originally used for hide curing. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004)
26 June 2007
The history of Bay Area industry parallels that of immigration. In the East Bay, the economy was largely built by first- and second-generation immigrants who had settled in the West, bringing with them specialized skills from points east, often Europe.
Such was the case in the founding of the Manasse-Block Tanning Company, which operated on Third and Fourth Streets between Camelia and Gilman from 1905 until 1986.
On 3 May 1905, the Oakland Tribune announced a new business in West Berkeley that will employ at the start some twenty-five or thirty men. Manasse-Block, which had operated a large tannery in East Oakland since 1900, purchased the West Berkeley tannery previously owned by Frank E. Deach, who resided at 1618 Fifth Street.
The Manasse-Block tannery in its early years (BAHA archives)
Deach (possibly a corruption of Deitsch), born in California to German immigrants and married to a Mexican woman, first appeared in the Berkeley directory in 1900, when he was listed in the U.S. census as a tannery proprietor. His name wasnt included in the property assessment rolls until 1903, at which time his ownership comprised Lots 3639 in Block 28 of the Wentworth Tract. Immediately to his south, on Lots 2734, the French immigrant Prudent Remond had been engaged in tanning and manufacturing of oak-tanned harness and skirting leather since at least 1894.
An aerial view of the Manasse-Block tannery complex
Even earlier than Remond, the southwestern end of the block had been the site of another tannery, owned by the Nova Scotian immigrant Robert Stewart since 1892. The block being large, for a few years the three establishments overlapped, although by 1900 Stewart had switched from tanning to manufacturing coconut fibre.
Remond, who came to the U.S. in 1871 with his French-Swiss wife and lived at 721 Camelia Street, constructed in 1898 a three-story building that the Berkeley Gazette promised would be one of the largest currying establishments on the Coast. In this place leather will be received from the tanneries and prepared for the making of shoes, harness, etc.
1311 Third St. was the first building constructed for Manasse-Block. It went up in 1905 and was used
for tanning (1st fl), storage (2nd fl), and drying (3rd fl). (photos: Daniella Thompson, 2004)
Remond may have overextended himself, or perhaps he received an offer he couldnt refuse. Either way, his tannery was taken over by the California Ink Company around the time that Deachs plant became the Manasse-Block tannery. For several years afterwards, the two worked as tanners, possibly for Manasse-Block. By 1909, Remond had become a watchman for Cal Ink, while Deach, now living at 1732 San Pablo Avenue, was working as a dyer for William Reuter & Sons, located at 7th and Jones Streets.
13081312 Fourth St. was built as a concrete hide warehouse in 1922, with additions in 1941 and the 1970s. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2005)
The businesses that followed Stewart, Remond, and Deach on Block 28 were far more successful. Both Manasse-Block and Cal Ink thrived for the better part of a century, and both were owned by German immigrants or their sons. The proprietor of Cal Ink was Ernest L. Hueter of San Francisco, German-born and owner of the Bass-Hueter Paint Company and the Pioneer Varnish and Glycerine Works. Hueters corporate secretary was Frederick Maurer, father of the photographer Oscar Maurer. The Maurers would settle on Le Roy Avenue following the San Francisco earthquake.
The Manasse-Block tannery in 1911
and in 1929 (Sanborn fire insurance maps)
Both founders of the Manasse-Block Tanning Co. came from the Bay Areas tight-knit German-Jewish community. The companys first president, August Manasse (18751942) was born in Napa, where his father, Emanuel, originally from Frankfurt by way of San Francisco, was in charge of manufacturing at the B.F. Sawyer tannery, in operation from 1869 until 1990. Emanuel originated the Napa Patent Leather process and became a co-owner of the business, which his descendants continued to run. The Manasse Mansion at 443 Brown Street in Napa, built in 1886 by architect-contractor William H. Corlett, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and operated as a bed & breakfast inn.
The Manasse-Block tannery in 1950 (Sanborn fire insurance maps)
August worked at the Sawyer tannery, but having three older brothers may have thwarted his ambitions. At the age of 25 he came to Oakland and entered into partnership with Roy Block (18791955), who was only 21 when he became secretary of the Manasse-Block Tanning Company.
The Blocks had no tanning background, but they knew something about leather. Roys father, Harry Block, was born in Bohemia and emigrated in 1866 as a 17-year old. In the 1870s, he ran a jewelry store in Virginia City, Nevada, where Roy was born. After opening a jewelry store in San Francisco, Harry formed the H. & L. Block Co. with his younger brother, Leopold. The company manufactured gloves.
Roy was confirmed at Congregation Emanu-El of San Francisco. Before entering the tanning business in 1900, he worked for his father as a glove drummer (traveling salesman).
Initially, Manasse and Blocks intention was to run the Berkeley facility as a branch of its main Oakland tannery. The local branch will be enlarged and improved as the business increases, and promises within a few years to become one of Berkeleys leading enterprises, informed the Oakland Tribune in May 1905, concluding, It is understood the tanning company will expend some $10,000 or $15,000 on improving its West Berkeley establishment.
Pacific Glove Works, 1317 Third Street (now 1307 Third) The Bancroft Library. University of California, Berkeley
The company did, in fact, leave Oakland, supposedly because the railroad was constructed through its site at East 12th St. and 19th Avenue. They constructed their first building in 1905 (see 1311 Third Street). The second building went up as Manasse-Block was joined by H. & L. Blocks Pacific Glove Works, which had lost its San Francisco facilities in the earthquake and fire. That catastrophe fresh in the principals minds, precautions were taken. On July 28 of that year, the Tribune reported:
In the belief that it will be impossible for the city to furnish them better fire protection at the present time, three of the largest factories in the West End, the California Ink Company, the Manasse-Block Tanning Company, and the Pacific Glove Works, located between Camelia and Gilman and Third and Fourth streets, combined in installing a pumping plant and an efficient fire brigade of their own. The directors believe that the cost of the undertaking will eventually be paid by a reduction in the insurance rates. [...] The brigade will be at the service of the West Berkeleyans.
After Pacific Glove Works returned to San Francisco, its building was converted to shipping (1st fl), finished goods (2nd), and drying (3rd). (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2007)
In February 1906, Manasse-Block made news for an altogether different reason. That month, two young men who declined to give their names but who said they were medical students from San Francisco called on August Manasse and asked him to prepare some human skin for commercial purposes. With them, reported the Tribune, they had two pieces of cuticle, one about a foot square and the other a trifle smaller, which they admitted they had stripped from a body in a dissecting room. They said they intended making slippers of the skin. The article continued:
Other tanners in this vicinity have also been approached by embryo physicians of San Francisco, who are engaged in the ghoulish traffic. It is alleged that articles made from the skin of men and women have been carried from California to all portions of the Union. The skin is expensive, a piece six inches square being valued at $20. When tanned the skin of a man is worth in the neighborhood of $500. The skin is soft and pliable, resembling in many respects chamois. Of it belts, purses, slippers and many other small articles are manufactured.
The students who called on Manasse told him that orders for skin are received faster than they can be filled. Skin of infants and women is more expensive.
Manasse declined the commission, and Town Marshal August Vollmer announced that he would take steps to put an end to the gruesome business.
Third St. frontage. The brick hide warehouse on the left dates from 1918. On the right, the flat-roofed Beam House is the oldest building in the complex, dating from c. 1898. It housed the Deach tannery before Manasse-Block acquired the site. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2007)
Newspaper notices published during the 1910s give an idea of the extent of Manasse-Blocks business. At different times in 1917 and 18, the company shipped leather to Houston, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, Denver, Los Angeles, St. Louis, and Portland, OR. The white tanned leather put out by this company enjoys the distinction of being in a class by itself, touted one of the notices.
By that time, August Manasse had exited the scene. Around 1914, Roy Block took over as president, and Manasse became a hide buyer. The companys new secretary was Solomon Seeligsohn, another offspring of a San Francisco German-Jewish family. His older brother, Abraham (Abe) Seeligsohn, was editor of the Jewish Progress. Solomon, who may have died prematurely, was followed as Manasse-Blocks secretary by his younger brother Selig.
The Block family house at 2920 Hillegass Avenue was designed by A. Dodge Coplin in 1906. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2007)
Even after breaking up, Manasse and Block continued to live in proximity to each other. For many years, August Manasse and his wife Myra lived at 2837 Regent Street. Refugees from the San Francisco earthquake, Roy Block and his spouse Edna built a new house at 2920 Hillegass Avenue. It is a handsome Arts & Crafts shingled structure with a rustically jagged clinker-brick chimney, sturdy porch posts, and zigzag window muntins. The house was designed by Alfred Dodge Coplin, whose distinctive residential creations from the same period may be seen at 2811 Benvenue Avenue and 2630 Piedmont Avenue.
In the mid-1920s, the Blocks moved to this house at 44 Montrose Road, in the Thousand Oaks neighborhood. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2007)
Roy Block was a member of San Franciscos Fidelity Masonic Lodge, where he served as master in 1909. He played flute in the Masonic Band for many years and was president of the Berkeley Manufacturers Association in 1926, as well as being a co-founder of Temple Beth-El of Berkeley.
In the mid-1920s, the Blocks moved to a larger house at 44 Montrose Road, in Thousand Oaks. Their old Hillegass house changed hands many times and eventually became a rental property. By the early 1960s, a modern two-story, four-unit apartment building had been constructed in the back yard. Less than ten years ago, the house was empty and boarded up. Now, although still a rental, it is handsomely restored.
The Manasse-Block staff, 26 June 1947 (photo by Gray, 1702 San Pablo, El Cerrito, courtesy of Walter Ball). In the center (rear and middle rows) are the three men below.
Frank Costa, plant foreman
Harold Edelstein, president
Roy Block, owner
The Block family continued to own the tannery for the rest of its productive life. Roy and Ednas daughter, Marian (19061999), married Harold Edelstein (19051989), an importers son born in Lithuania. He would be come the companys chairman. The last president was Walter Ball, who started in 1947 as a general laborer and oversaw the closing and dismantling of the Berkeley plant 39 years later.
Walter Ball at the measuring machine in the shipping department, 1950s (photo: Imogen Cunningham)
A worker wrings the hides. (photo: David Ball, c. 1976)
The plant expanded steadily until 1956, its principal product being boot and shoe leather. As synthetics replaced leather and as shoe production moved overseas, the tanning business declined. The Manasse-Block tannery closed in 1986, but the company stayed in business for another year or so, farming out the leather processing to the Calnap Tanning Company in Napa, from where it was sent to Berkeley before being shipped to clients.
The Berkeley tannery facilities were sold to the Athena Development Corporation, which created the Tannery project, preserving, rehabilitating, and reusing the abandoned 81,180 sq. ft. complex. Completed in 1990, the complex accommodates offices, retail, and live-work units.
The old Cal Ink plant next door is now abandoned and awaiting its fate on the auction block. Can it be as creatively rehabilitated like the Manasse-Block tannery?
The Manasse-Block Tannery was designated a City of Berkeley Landmark on 21 April 1986.
This article was first published in the Berkeley Daily Planet on 29 June 2007.
Copyright © 20072012 Daniella Thompson. All rights reserved.