BAHA Annual Membership Meeting
Thursday, 30 May 2019
The Hillside Club
2286 Cedar Street
Berkeley, CA 94709
6:00 Social Hour — no-host wine bar
7:00 Buffet Dinner ($45/$50 by reservation)*
7:30 Business Meeting and Election of Officers & Directors
Complimentary coffee & chocolate cake for all
8:00 Illustrated Lecture
Dr. Alexandra M. Nickliss:
Phoebe Apperson Hearst: A Life of Power and Politics
Dr. Nickliss is the author of a recent biography of Phoebe Apperson Hearst. Her illustrated talk will focus on Mrs. Hearst’s contributions to the U.C. campus, including the Hearst Architectural Plan, and her activities as an advocate for women in the early 20th century. Hearst died a century ago, this spring, but her influences are still felt.
Books will be available for sale and signing after the talk.~~~~~~~~
* Dinner will be provided by Jasmine Catering.
Members $45 per person; General $50 per person.
If you wish to attend the meeting and/or order dinner, please register online and include the names of your guests. You may also send a check made out to BAHA (to reach us no later than 25 May) to:
2318 Durant Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94704
Dinner MenuPassed Appetizers
- Vegetable Crudités with labane, hummus, and za’atar.
- Stuffed Cremini Mushrooms with goat cheese, spinach, and parmesan cheese.
- Bruschetta with blue cheese and fresh apricots.
- Mediterranean Salad. Romaine lettuce with vine-ripe tomatoes, Kalamata olives, shredded carrots, scallions, feta cheese, sourdough bread croutons (on the side) and lemon-mint vinaigrette.
- Almond-Crusted Salmon. Salmon fillet with almond crust and pesto.
- Pomegranate Chicken. Mary’s Chicken, slow cooked in pomegranate juice, rose water, walnuts, wnions, and spices.
- Roasted Root Vegetables. Brussels sprouts, carrots, cauliflower, red potatoes, and red onions roasted with extra-virgin olive oil and fresh oregano.
- Jeweled Rice. Basmati rice with toasted almonds, raisins, sautéed onions, carrots, and celery.
Additional information, including the nominated slate of officers and directors, will follow by mail and e-mail.
Photo: Daniella Thompson
Berkeley Historical Society Events
Visit the Berkeley Historical Society website for BHS’s schedule of events.
Oakland Heritage Alliance Events
Visit the Oakland Heritage Alliance website OHA’s schedule of events.
Free Guided Tours of the Oakland Museum
Founded in 1971, the Council on Architecture at the Oakland Museum of California supports the museum and celebrates its exceptional architecture. Its members are interested in promoting greater understanding and appreciation of the built environment through architectural tours, exhibits, and lectures.
On the first Sunday of each month, at 1 pm, members of the Council on Architecture lead tours featuring the museum’s architecture and gardens. There’s much to talk about with the exciting enhancements to the building by Mark Cavagnero Associates.
For additional information, call Sandra Coleman, (510) 451-6796.
Guided Tours of the Paramount Theatre
Public tours of the Paramount Theatre are given on the first and third Saturdays of each month, excluding holidays and holiday weekends. No reservations are necessary. Tours begin promptly at 10:00 am at the Box Office entrance on 21st Street near Broadway. The tour lasts about 2 hours and provides a full and informative view of the Theatre. Cameras are allowed. Admission is $5.00 per person. Children must be at least 10 years old, and adult chaperones are required. Please note that some areas of the tour are not wheelchair accessible.
Your donations to BAHA
Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association
2318 Durant Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94704
Copyright © 2019 BAHA. All rights reserved.