Will the real William Heywood stand up?
30 September 2008
Zimri Brewer Heywoods burial record, Church of the Good Shepherd (courtesy of Jean Darnall)
Lumber magnate Zimri Brewer Heywood was found dead in his bed on 31 July 1879. He was 76 years old and had spent the last two years of his life in Berkeley, presumably at 709 Delaware Street. He was buried at Lone Mountain Cemetery in San Francisco, and his death and burial were duly inscribed in the ledger of the Church of the Good Shepherd, of which he was a founding member.
The previous year, Heywood had contributed $500the highest cash donationto the church building fund, which erected the landmark still standing at Ninth St. and Hearst Avenue. The grateful congregation held a commemorative sermon in his honor on 6 September 1879.
Heywoods contribution to the Church of the Good Shepherd (courtesy of Jean Darnall)
The extent of Zimris estate hasnt been fully documented, but his West Berkeley real-estate holdings alone were substantial, comprising several blocks, including the one occupied by the West Berkeley Lumber Yard (the latter owned by Heywoods Mendocino Lumber Company), a wharf, and a portion of the Berkeley tidelands.
Heywoods second-born and oldest surviving son, William Brewer Heywood (18301915), was appointed trustee and collector of the estate, assisted by the eleventh born, Walter Minturn Heywood (18541924). Walter, a realtor, would be occupied with the trusteeship for the rest of his life.
In 1877, William had formed the Berkeley Land and Building Company with prominent businessmen James L. Barker, George D. Dornin, Alfred Bartlett, and Charles K. Clarke. They intend to do a Real Estate business in conjunction with building and improvements that will contribute to the growth and prosperity of the town, announced the Berkeley Advocate.
The Heywoods mill at Mill Bend, Gualala, c. 1900 (qh awála-li water coming down place: A History of Gualala, Mendocino County, California)
William had little time to devote to this business. Managing the Gualala Mill Company and living in Arena Township, Mendocino County, he was away from Berkeley almost continuously during the quarter century following his fathers death. Williams first wife, Salome, drowned in the Oakland Ferry Disaster of 4 July 1868, leaving the widower with two little sons: William Hezekiah and Zimri Brewer. William subsequently married Vienna Thompson, a New Yorker who was recorded as his wife in the 1880 census of Arena.
Gualala Mill Co. listed among the subscribers to the Alaska Trade Committee (San Francisco Call, 23 January 1898)
William B. Heywoods house at 1500 Arch St. was built in 1888 and sold to Captain William Marston four or five years later. (courtesy of the Berkeley Historical Society)
In 1888, William, Vienna, and Zimri came to the Bay Area, William taking charge of the Gualala Mill Companys San Francisco office. Their new home was a Queen Anne Victorian on a triple lot at the southwest corner of Arch and Vine Streets. Zimri (born c. 1866) is said to have been attending the university and to have died about 1892, which prompted his father to sell the house to Captain William H. Marston and return to Gualala. The house would remain in the Marston family until 1937, when it was demolished.
A side view of the Arch Street house (courtesy of the Berkeley Historical Society)
Vienna Heywood died in Berkeley on 11 September 1898. Her funeral was held at the First Baptist Church, which stood on Allston Way near Oxford Street. William continued to live in Arena, presiding over a large household that included eleven mill employees, a schoolteacher (the local school had been built by the Heywoods), and three Chinese cooks. Living nearby was his surviving son, William Hezekiah ((18641920), who had married c. 1889, fathered a son, and was the mills mechanical engineer.
In 1903, Williams half-brother, Franklin Heywood (b. 1837), president of the Gualala Mill Company and the Gualala River Railway, committed suicide in his San Francisco bathroom by placing in his mouth a rubber tube attached to an open gas jet. His fortune, valued at $200,000, was left in trust to his estranged wife, Agnes B. Heywood. It was to be divided after her death, half going to their adopted daughter, the other half shared equally among seven blood relatives.
Franklin Heywood as depicted in his obituary (San Francisco Call, 29 July 1903)
Miss Heywood Asks Allowance From Foster Fathers Estate (San Francisco Call, 19 May 1905)
As would often happen, the adopted daughter, Agnes Maud Heywood, initiated a lawsuit to hasten the distribution of the estate. She also asserted that her rights had been inexcusably neglected by William B. and Walter M. Heywood, executors of the will. The widow weighed in on the opposite side, airing some of the familys dirty laundry. The tawdry suit dragged on until 1910, when the California Supreme Court upheld Franklin Heywoods will.
San Francisco Call, 27 September 1903
San Francisco Call, 5 December 1903
Two months following Franklins death, the Gualala Mill Company, its lands and railroad were sold to the Empire Redwood Company for a reputed $600,000. William and Hezekiah returned to Berkeley, where the 1904 directory listed them at 1429 Walnut Street. They lived here for a year while building a new house at 1401 Walnut, on the corner of Rose Street. Both died in this house.
In the 1870s, when a ferry pier was first proposed for Berkeley, the Heywoods wharf at the foot of Bristol Street (now Hearst Avenue) was passed over in favor of a new one at the foot of University Avenue. Thirty years later, the town trustees wanted a new municipal pier built, and this time the Heywoods were taking no chances. Charles D. Heywood, who ran the West Berkeley Lumber Company, moved his lumber yard and planing mill from Bristol Street to the foot of University Avenue, where he built a new lumber wharf next to the old ferry pier. His uncle William emerged as the owner of the old ferry pier and much of the land around it.
The Heywood lumber yard and planing mill were relocated to the foot of University Ave. in 1907. (Sanborn fire insurance map, 1911)
In early 1907, after a bond measure raised $100,000 for a new municipal pier, William Heywood offered to deed his pier to the town for $22,000, reserving for himself the right to access his sheds at the north spur of the pierthe only place where vessels could then tie upand charge tolls. On 23 September, the trustees voted to pay his asking price. The Oakland Tribune reported the following day that there was considerable opposition among prominent business men on the ground that valuable concessions were being granted to Heywood, but the trustees were persuaded by the opinion of Town Attorney Redmond C. Staats, who determined that the city would have the right to collect fees on wharfage, dockage, and tolls.
Berkeley Municipal Wharf; part of the Heywood wharf is visible at center left. (Bancroft Library, University of California)
Within a month, the Piper-Aden-Goodall Company, which had been operating freight steamers between San Francisco and West Berkeley for 20 years, alleged that William Heywood was levying the exorbitant charge of 10 cents a ton, double the rate charged elsewhere in the state. We might as well go out of business, said the companys claims agent. Heywood replied that he charged the higher toll just once, when the steamer docked at the West Berkeley Lumber Companys private wharf. He had given notice that he wanted the use of his warehouses but was willing to allow Piper-Aden-Goodall to build a warehouse of its own at the end of the wharf. The city responded by taking control of the wharf and announcing its intention to appoint a toll collector.
As Berkeleys population exploded after the 1906 earthquake, William resumed his real-estate activities. His first venture was the Heywood Apartments at 2119 Addison Street. This three-story red brick building was designated a City of Berkeley Landmark in 2003.
The Heywood Apartments at 2119 Addison St. were built in 1906 for William B. Heywood. The building also housed the Berkeley Independent newspaper. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2008)
Berkeley directory listing, 1908
In July 1908, the Daily Pacific Builder published a contract notice for flats to be built on the southeast corner of University and Grove. The owner was W.B. Heywood, the contractor George L. Mohr, and the projected cost $11,000. Nothing was built on that corner at the time, but in June 1909 construction began on another Heywood apartment housethis one on the southwest corner of the same intersection. The San Francisco Call reported that this building would cost $20,000, contain 40 apartments, and cover a lot of 75 x 150 feet. The Oakland Tribune, on the other hand, tallied the cost at $12,000 and gave floor space dimensions of 37 x 137 feet.
Heywood Apartments, 1846 University Ave., viewed from the Lawrence Captive Airship (Berkeley Fire Department)
As shown in the Sanborn fire insurance map of 1911, the actual building constructed at 1846 University Ave. was a long and narrow block with no setbacks, occupying the full length of the lot along Grove Street. It rose to three stories and contained 12 apartments and 24 bay windows. Williams nephew, Charles, moved in right away and was still living there in 1913, after being elected mayor of Berkeley.
Heywood apartments, 1846 University Ave. (Sanborn fire insurance map, 1911)
On 22 August 1909, as Berkeleys new City Hall was about to be dedicated, the Tribune announced that William Heywood was preparing to duplicate his new building on another corner of the University-Grove intersection. These various contemplated and assured improvements are all due directly to the new city hall and may result in making a new business center of the region bounded by Shattuck, University, Allston Way and Grove Street. In a short time it is probable that this will be thickly built and that the real center of the city will be comprised in these boundaries, concluded the Tribune.
The predictionsfor the district and for the stalled building on the southeast cornerdidnt come to pass. In August 1942, Berkeley Gazette columnist Hal Johnson would write:
William Heywood planned to erect a building on the southeast corner of University Ave. and Grove St. He had the lumber on the ground and the foundation started when the City Council decided that the setback line, which then stopped at Allston Way and Grove St. should be extended.
He acquiesced to the Councils desires. The lumber was moved to the southeast corner of Berkeley Way and Home St., now Walnut St. He erected the large building which is now an apartment hotel.
The Home Street Apartments at what is now 1921 Walnut St. were constructed for William B. Heywood in 1909 by Prolific builder George L. Mohr. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2008)
Did it really happen as Hal told it? A full month before the Tribunes announcement of the second building, a building permit had been issued for the final location (no permit has been found for the purported original location), and the Call reported that C.D. Heywood [sic] is erecting an apartment house at Home Street and Berkeley Way, of four stories. Since the building on the southeast corner of University and Grove appears to have been planned before its companion across the street, why didnt Heywood simply move the lumber there instead of five blocks uphill? Perhaps he did.
San Francisco Call, 24 July 1909
All we know with certainty is that George L. Mohr constructed the clapboard building still standing at 1921 Walnut Street, at a cost of $7,000. It was leased to Elizabeth Andruss, a widow whose daughter was studying at U.C. The neighborhood was then a hotbed for new technology. Directly across the street, engineering student William E. de Berry was building a Farman biplane in his back yard and had already received orders for two additional planes. He was planning to establish a factory in South Berkeley and perhaps go into business as an airplane manufacturer after graduation (he ended up as the proprietor of a radio store in San Francisco).
William B. Heywood entered into new negitiations with the City of Berkeley when the latter was seeking a site on which to build a municipal incinerator. On 10 August 1909, the Tribune reported that Mayor Hodghead and City Clerk Seaborn were authorized by the city council to negotiate with Heywood for a lease of a tract of land at the foot of University Avenue, adjoining the new municipal wharf. It was hinted that if the deal were sccessful, a bond issue for $50,000 would be called to erect the plant. The next day, the Call reported that the city council had secured an option on two acres from Heywood, who was asking $5,000 for the land:
The land, which is under water at high tide, is expected to answer the requirements for an ideal site. The haul down University avenue is easy, and the site of the incinerator would be in the manufacturing district away from residences and would not result in the filing of complaints on account of the fumes arising from it.
The added nearness of the city wharf at the foot of University avenue has been considered by the council, and it is planned to use the klinker brick and other solid matter from the incinerator to fill in the city wharf.
The ground would have to be piled before an incinerator could be built, but this is considered of minor importance and one which would not involve much expense.
A bond election for the purchase of the site and incinerator is being considered by the council.
Apparently no deal was made, since the city eventually selected a site at the northwestern corner of Berkeley.
Oakland Tribune, 24 August 1915
William B. Heywood passed away after a brief illness. His obituary, published in the Oakland Tribune on 17 August 1915, provided the following account of his Berkeley properties:
In Berkeley they continued in the lumber business, which was in the family until two years ago. This was established as the Heywood Lumber Company, and waterfront property adjoining the municipal wharf, where it was conducted, is in the estate.
Beside this property Heywood owned the Independent building on Addison street, the Home Street apartments, a large flat building at Grove street and University avenue and many other parcels of valuable land in different sections of the city.
The building on the southeast corner of University and Grove was eventually built at a cost of $25,000, but not until late 1915, several months after William B. Heywood had been consigned to his grave. The owner was his son, William Hezekiah, who had engaged the architect James W. Plachek for the project. Curiously, this building, delayed seven years, has no setbacks.
James Plachek designed 1900 University Ave. in 1915 for William H. Heywood. (Plachek collection, BAHA archives)
1900 University Avenue today (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2008)
Two years later, Plachek designed for the same client a small, terra cottaclad jewel at 2014 Shattuck Avenue. Designated a City of Berkeley Landmark in 1993, this is the second building that has been erroneously ascribed to William B. Heywood (the first is 1809 Fourth Street).
Built in 1917, the Heywood Building at 2014 Shattuck Ave. included offices for its architect, James Plachek, and its owner, William H. Heywood. (Plachek collection, BAHA archives)
The Heywood Building is clad in fine architectural terra cotta manufactured by Gladding, McBean Co. of Lincoln, California. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2008)
William H. Heywood survived his father by only five years. In 1916, he sold 45 acres of waterfront land between Second Street and the tidelands to Hawaiian sugar interests for $75,000. He left an estate estimated at several hundred thousand dollars, willing the income generated from it to his second wife, Lula Amelia (18681942). $5,000 were set aside for his son Leslie (18921979), fruit of the first marriage, who had moved to Spokane with his mother over a dozen years earlier. Believed to have fallen in action in France, Leslie Heywood resurfaced two weeks after his fathers deathtoo late to claim a larger share of the estate.
This is the third in a series of articles on the Heywood family.
This article was published in the Berkeley Daily Planet on 2 October 2008.
Copyright © 2008 Daniella Thompson. All rights reserved.