Knitwear magnate looked to Europe for building inspiration
Hillegass Court, an elegant 1916 apartment building at 2821 Hillegass Avenue (photo: Daniella
23 January 2008
The settlement of the residential blocks south of the U.C. campus began, naturally, on the streets closest to the university and progressed southward. In 1903, the area now known as the Willard neighborhood, comprising the Hillegass and Berry-Bangs tracts and bounded, clockwise, by Dwight Way, College, Ashby, and Telegraph Avenues, was most densely built along Benvenue and Hillegass Avenues north of Derby Street.
By 1911five years after the San Francisco earthquakeBenvenue, Hillegass, and Regent Streets were almost completely built out to Ashby Avenue, streetcars and commuter lines were running along Ashby and College, and a cluster of local shops and services served the neighborhood.
The homes built along Benvenue, Hillegass, and Regent were spacious and elegantoften architect-designedand many featured brown-shingle exteriors and craftsman interiors complete with wood-paneled walls and beamed ceilings. It was a fashionable neighborhood, populated by businessmen and professionals. Apartment buildings were unknown here.
Parking in the basement was a later addition. (Berkeley Daily Gazette, 6 May 1916)
This changed on 6 May 1916, when the Berkeley Daily Gazette announced:
The new apartment house, Hillegass Court, 2821 Hillegass avenue, is just completed for the owner, G. A. Mattern, and is rapidly being occupied by families which had made their choice of apartments during its construction. Architects Wright & Rushforth, of San Francisco, have endeavored to carry out a design suitable to the character of its surroundings, with ample lot area for lawns and shrubbery on all sides, with a driveway to the garage located on the south and in the rear. The central court arrangement affords a degree of privacy to the three entrances, there being one in each wing, and within the terraced court is sufficient area for a nice display of lawn.
There are a total of sixteen apartments of two, three and four rooms each, with sleeping porches to eight of them. The owner has spared no expense to provide the essentials to health and comfort; light, air, sun, heat and ventilation are well provided for. The basement being high and dry, affords ample storage facilities for tenants, besides a social room, kitchen, laundry and the usual basement equipment. Louis Engler of this city was the contractor, and the cost amounted to about $30,000.
Abstract patterns decorate the bays flanking the central entrance. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2008)
Even the side doors shelter beneath handsome porticos. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2008)
Decorative variety distinguishes the central entrance. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2008)
Cascading roofs and varying window motifs lend interest and charm. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2008)
Hillegass Court went up on a triple lot that had remained open on the block between Stuart and Russell Streets. A handsome, c-shaped structure, it bears a vague resemblance to a lakeside Kurhaus in an Alpine resort. According to a legend that circulated for many years among the tenants, the design is a copy of a 1912 French building Mattern admired. Since there is no record of Mattern having traveled to Europe in the 1910s (he would travel there frequently between 1921 and 1940), its possible that he might have seen such a building in a magazine or in an architectural journal shown him by the architect.
The charming windows evoke European resort architecture. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2008)
The architect, George Rushforth (18611943), was an Englishman who, with his new bride, immigrated to California in 1887. The couples first stop was in Los Angeles, where their eldest son was born. By 1890, they had moved to Stockton, where they lived for a decade and a half, bringing three more sons into the world. In 1902, George designed Stockton High School.
In the wake of the 1906 earthquake, Rushforth shifted his field of operations to San Francisco. The move was motivated not only by the better professional opportunities available in the Bay Area but by the need to educate four sons born between 1888 and 1894.
In 1907, Rushforth opened an office at 2277 California Street with two compatriots, George A. Wright and Bernard J.S. Cahill. He commuted from Berkeley, where the family home was at 2321 Blake Street.
A practical architect, Rushforth was no prima donna; he sought to give his clients what they wanted. This flexibility is evident in the variety of styles seen in his work. Among the better-known San Francisco buildings designed by Wright, Rushforth & Cahill is the 7-story Hotel Whitcomb at Market and Eighth Streets (1911), which was adapted by the architects for use as a temporary City Hall from 1912 to 1915.
In Berkeley, Rushforths most famous work is the Gothic-style Trinity Methodist Church (192728) and Trinity Hall (1934) on Dana Street between Durant Ave. and Bancroft Way.
The building retains its original window and stucco detail. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2008)
Rushforths connection to his Hillegass Court client was a family affairhis second son, Archibald (18901976), married Mabel Mattern and worked in her fathers business. The firm was the famous Gantner & Mattern Co. of San Francisco, later known as Gantner of California. It manufactured sweaters and coats, knit underwear hosiery, and athletic clothing but was especially known for its swimwear. In 1907, it advertised ladies bathing suits from $1.90 to $40, mens from $1 to $6, and boys from 75 cents up. Girls at the time did not seem to merit their own swimwear.
Actress Amie Leicester modeled eight Gantner & Mattern swimsuits in a full-page newspaper feature, The Summer Bathing Costumes. (San Francisco Call, 5 June 1902)
The company promoted its aquatic apparel by exhorting the public to learn to swim, offering a pair of water wings free with every suit. One of the owners, G.A. Mattern, took an active role in the San Francisco YMCA, where he was general supeintendent of the gymnasium in 1900 and head of the physical department committee in 1910. The company maintained a baseball team, the Gantner-Mattern Knitters, who played in an amateur league that included St. Marys College in Oakland. The Knitters were not strictly amateurs; in the fall and winter of 1907, they used the services of the professional pitcher Herman Ham Iburg, who had spent one season in the Major Leagues.
In early March 1906, the San Francisco Call announced three times that the Gantner-Matterns would play a benefit game against the universitys varsity team, with U.C. president Benjamin Ide Wheeler pitching the first ball. The proceeds would help pay off the $900 mortgage on the house of James Taits widow at 2022 Delaware Street. Mr. Tait, known as Jimmy Potatoes, had been a beloved university janitor and gardener for nearly 20 years and died of blood poisoning on 19 February, leaving his family penniless. Inxeplicably, the ball game that took place on 10 March featured not the G&M Knitters but St. Marys College, which handily defeated the home team.
San Francisco Call, 20 June 1907
Bathing suits from Gantner and Mattern, poses by Amie Leicester, Tivoli Theatre, photos by Fowzer (San Francisco Call, 5 June 1902)
The companys owners, John Oscar Gantner (18681951) and George Alfred Mattern (18641945), were immigrants sons. Gantners father was a Swiss saloon keeper, while Matterns was a German boat maker. In 1870, the Gantners lived next to another Swiss immigrant family, the Pfisters. John Pfister (born c. 1809) was a brewer who supplied the Gantner saloon.
In 1877, a Swiss immigrant named John Jacob Pfister (18441921) established the J.J. Pfister Knitting Company in San Francisco. Pfister manufactured crochet and knitted goods, bathing suits, tights, underwear and sporting uniforms, and imported bolting cloth. Pfister the knitter may have been unrelated to Pfister the brewer, but both Gantner and Mattern got their start in his company. In 1880, 16-year old Alfred Mattern was working in a woolen mill and would rise to superintendent at J.J. Pfister & Co. before the decade was out. By 1889, John O. Gantner would become Pfisters corporate secretary.
Gantner & Mattern exhibit at Hale Brothers department store in San Francisco, part of the Home Industry League of Californias exposition (San Francisco Call, 2 September 1910)
Mattern, who could never make up his mind whether he was George A. or Alfred G., first appeared in the Berkeley directory in 1893, residing at 2157 Dwight Way. The last time he was listed as a Pfister employee was in 1897, and two years later his occupation was given as manufacturer. In 1907, he built a new house at 2701 Regent Street and Derby (the site is now a lawn facing the Willard Park mosaic bench).
Not much has come down to us about G.A. Matterns personal life. He fathered a boy and two girls. His son, Hermann A. Mattern, and his son-in-law, Archibald W. Rushforth, would spend their careers as managers at Gantner & Mattern. The only family member who didnt fit the business mold was the youngest daughter, Laurinne Easter Mattern, who edited the 1915 commencement issue of the Anna Head School publication, Nods and Becks, and listed herself as an orchestral musician in the 1930 U.S. census.
San Francisco Call, 9 August 1910
Mattern was active in civic and social circles. In 1904, he was named to the Trinity Methodist Church building committee. Two years later, he was active on behalf of the church in an effort to banish saloons from Berkeley. In December 1907, the San Francisco Call recorded that MAttern was one of 750 citizens who attended a MerchantsAssociation banquet promoting consolidation of all the cities around San Francisco Bay.
A rare lighter note was struck by the San Francisco Call in August 1910, when it reported, Frightened by the shouts of his son, who had a nightmare, G.A. Mattern, a wealthy manufacturer of 2701 Regent street, jumped out of bed at an early hour this morning and fell off the sleeping porch of his home, 15 feet to the ground. [...] He is now suffering from a fracture of the hip and other injuries. Awakened by his own screams, Hermann found his father in the garden and summoned Dr. Edith Brownsill, who lived at 2614 Channing Way (current site of the universitys Crossroads dining center).
Elegant windows and stucco ornaments above the central portico
(photo: Daniella Thompson, 2008)
In the late 1910s, the Matterns would build a new home at 100 Tunnel Road, designed by the fashionable San Francisco architect Louis M. Upton. But before departing from the Berry-Bangs tract, they beautified it with Hillegass Court. Ron Erickson, a former tenant in the building, described it in 1986:
There is still a low-ceilinged dance room in the basement, about 60 x 30', with original light fixtures, a wood dance floor, and a small serving area at one end. It is thought to have been a meeting-place for the Red Cross during the war.
Many if not all rooms contained wall beds, built-in ironing boards (still being used), and cabinets just outside each apartment door, accessible for deliveries. All the apartments differ in small, charming details. The larger ones have built-in china closets or secretaries.
The ornamental work in the exterior design is reflected somewhat in the original stair banisters. All hallways, and much of the apartment interiors, is paneled in beautifully grained cedar divided by three-inch ribs. Unfortunately, all woodwork in the halls was painted a light green, probably in the Fifties. Fortunately, this paint is scraped off fairly easily without chemicals, revealing a rich-grained, brown-reddish stained surface. Altogether, except for superficial alterations, the building seems to be in its original form.
Once Hillegass Court was completed in 1916, Mattern erected a house for Mabel and Archie Rushforth on the open southern third of the property. To design this unprepossessing Brown Shingle, he didnt have to go farther than his in-law, Rushforth père.
Mabel & Archibald Rushforth house, 2825 Hillegass Ave. (Ormsby Donogh files, BAHA archives)
2825 Hillegass Avenue (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2008)
A shorter version of this article was published in the Berkeley Daily Planet on 25 January 2008.
Copyright © 2008–2019 Daniella Thompson. All rights reserved.