Peralta Park grew in the shade of giants
16 May 2006
The Lueders house at 1330 Albina Ave. combines Queen Anne styling with Stick detail. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2006)
Lying northwest of Hopkins Street between Gilman and Colusa, the Peralta Park tract straddles Berkeley and Albany across Codornices Creek. Built up in the 1920s, the neighborhood presents to the eye a sea of low stucco bungalows among which one can pick out a handful of Victorians. Of the latter, three average-sized Queen Annes may be found along Hopkins Street. The other two, however, are giants boasting remarkable architectural features. Relics of a grander era, they stand as a reminder of the larger-than-life people who harbored bold visions for this land.
Photo: Daniella Thompson, 2006
In the public domain until 1820, the area was part of the 44,800-acre Rancho San Antonio granted to Luís María Peralta for his services to the Spanish Crown. In 1842, Peralta divided the lands among his four sons, and José Domingo Peralta (17951865) received the portion that today comprises Berkeley and Albany from Alcatraz Avenue to El Cerrito Creek. Having his pick of many prime locations for his home, Domingo settled on the bank of Codornices Creek, where he erected a 30-by-18-foot adobe (removed after the 1868 earthquake) and, in 1851, a two-story frame house (moved to the nearby Schmidt tract in 1876 and torn down in 1933, when the University of California owned the tract). Had these structures survived in the original location, their addresses would be 1304 Albina Avenue and 1505 Hopkins Street.
During the Gold Rush, cattle robbers, squatters, and fortune hunters all had their eye on Domingos possessions, and by 1853, he had sold most of his rancho for $82,000, reserving 300 acres around his house. After his death, squabbling among his many children and their legal fees did away with the remaining acres. Sixty of those acres were acquired by William Chapman Ralston (18261875), the boldest speculator on the Pacific coast, founder of the Bank of California, director of the Central Pacific Railroad, and builder of San Franciscos fabled Palace Hotel. Never one to do anything on a small scale, Ralston was the first to have visions for Peralta Park, but his untimely death in the aftermath of a rush on his bank stopped any development for a while. The executor of Ralstons estate fraudulently used the land as collateral for an $8,000 loan from the California Insurance Company. When he defaulted on the loan, the company, founded by Caspar Thomas Hopkins in 1861, seized the land, and Hopkins set about looking for a buyer. In 1887 he found a fabulous one.
Peralta Park subdivision map filed by M.B. Curtis in 1888 (courtesy of Jerry Sulliger)
The man who reputedly peeled off $32,000 for a deed was Maurice Strelinger, aka M.B. Curtis (c. 18501920), a wildly successful actor who made his name playing the lead in the comedy Saml of Posen (more on him in a future story). Strelingers visions were as grand as Ralstons. He planned an elegant subdivision, anchored by the luxurious, multi-turreted Peralta Park Hotel. The hotel was to be surrounded by large houses on spacious lots, circled in turn by medium-sized houses on standard lots.
The Lueders house circa 1905 (BAHA archives, courtesy of Thomas Roe)
Always highly leveraged, Strelinger recruited investors from among his San Francisco business and theatre connections, and some of them bought parcels and erected homes. In all, thirteen houses were built on the tract, including Strelingers own home at 1505 Hopkins Street. Six of the houses went up in 1889, all constructed by Lord & Boynton, who in the same year also built the Peralta Park Hotel, the Niehaus Brothers West Berkeley Planing Mill, and George C. Papes East Berkeley Planing Mill. Most of the six Peralta Park houses built in 1889 contained between eight and ten rooms. The largest belonged to the San Francisco physician Robert Macbeth and was located on a large creekside parcel on the east side of Albina Avenue. On the west side, also on outsize parcels, stood the houses of Anita Fallon and Julius Alfred Lueders. Although both of the latter survived, only the Lueders house at 1330 Albina remains on its original site.
Ira A. Boynton
The house was built (apparently from a pattern in Shoppells Modern Houses, 1887) by Ira A. Boynton (c. 18451920), a Maine-born carpenter who was related to Moses Chase, a former seafarer and forty-niner known to have been the first squatter on Antonio María Peraltas land and the first American settler in Oakland. Boynton came to Berkeley in the 1870s and was first listed in the 1878 Berkeley city directory as a carpenter living on Berkeley Way near Shattuck Avenue, but soon moved one block north to College Way (now Hearst Avenue) at Shattuck. Among the houses he built locally are 2328 Channing Way (1889) and the Edward Brakenridge house (1892) at 1410 Bonita Avenue. In 1895, Boyntons daughters wedding took place in Joseph Clapps cottage at 2007 Berkeley Way. It is not known whether Boynton built this Gothic Revival cottage, commonly known as the Morning Glory House (built c. 1876), but its possible, since Clapp was another transplanted New Englander, and Boynton’s early residence was located in Clapp’s tract.
For a while, Boynton was associated with Horace Kidder (later of the contracting firm Kidder & McCullough), but in the mid-1890s he was drawn by the building boom in Alaska and settled in Douglas. His final residence was in Seattle.
The Lueders house dining room is intact, as are the adjacent parlors. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2006)
Boyntons client on Albina Ave. was one of the San Franciscans lured to Berkeley by Strelinger. According to his daughter, Mrs. Frieda Frohwerk, Julius A. Lueders moved his family from San Francisco to Peralta Park because his wife wanted to live in the country. Born in Germany, he had no use for the Prussian military system, so came to San Francisco in 1877.
The Berkeley Daily Gazette columnist Hal Johnson interviewed Mrs. Frohwerk in 1947, at which time she divulged that her father had learned the perfumery business in Germany by serving a four-year-apprenticeship to a leading chemist. He brought to California several formulas along with his family. In a few months he had worked up quite a business in perfumes in San Francisco. Interested in the life insurance business, he started his own life insurance company. And because he was particularly careful whom he insured, he prospered.
Mrs. Frohwerk didnt tell Johnson that her father was secretary of the Pacific Endowment League, a real-estate firm whose reputation was less than a stellar, and that the family finances were kept on an even keel through the exertions of her mother, Anna, a stern woman who operated a dress shop in San Francisco.
The Lueders house cost $4,900 and was second only to the Macbeth house, which came in at $6,900. In addition to ten rooms on the first and second floors, there was a third-story attic with four rooms and surmounted with a bell-shaped cupola. The three-acre lot was a block deep, extending from Albina to Fleurange Avenue (now Acton Street). The amenities included a gazebo, a large garden, a barn, and a well house with windmill. A gas plant on the premises provided illumination. The well water was still being used in 1947.
Salvaged materials give the kitchen an undefined period look. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2006)
Julius and Anna Lueders had four children: Hilda, Frieda, Walter, and Edgar. Hilda was principal of the West Berkeley Kindergarten until she married George Bruns. Thereafter she helped her husband run the D.H. Bruns General Merchandising store and post office on the corner of San Pablo and University.
Frieda attended the Sprague School in Peralta Hall (formerly the Peralta Park Hotel) before becoming a teacher in the West Berkeley Kindergarten. When Sunset Telephone & Telegraph introduced 24-hour telephone service, Frieda became the night operator. Later she advanced to chief operator, and eventually went to work as a county employee. In middle age she married the carpenter William Frohwerk.
Neither Walter nor Edgar married. Walter worked as a bookkeeper and Edgar as a mechanic. Both continued living with their mother at 1330 Albina. Walter bought the Bruns store, renamed West Berkeley Hardware. He died in 1924, and Edgar continued running the store until his own death in 1971.
The second turret is a modern addition intended to balance the buildings composition. (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2006)
In 1972, the Lueders house was acquired by Thomas Roe and his partner, who lovingly restored it, preserving the original first-floor rooms. They added a second turret on the south end, glazed the gazebo with windows salvaged from a Mills College demolition, and constructed a showcase kitchen, largely with salvaged materials. Still a work in progress, the house is one of the finest Victorians in the East Bay.
This is the first part in a series of three articles on Peralta Park.
Jerry Sulliger participated in the research for this article.
An earlier version of this article was published in the Berkeley Daily Planet on 19 May 2006.
Copyright © 20062015 Daniella Thompson. All rights reserved.