Around People’s Park

Part 1. Dwight Way

Photos & text by Daniella Thompson

8 April 2020


People’s Park, a City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1984, is surrounded on three sides by numerous other designated landmarks. This gallery features them all. In the background north of the park are visible the shingled buildings of the Anna Head School.


Stella (Mrs. Edmund P.) King Building, 2502 Dwight Way at 2501 Telegraph Avenue (Albert Dodge Coplin, architect, 1901), City of Berkeley Landmark; listed in the State Historic Resources Inventory. To its right is another City of Berkeley Landmark, the Soda Water Works Building, 2509–2513 Telegraph Avenue (E.A. Spalding, builder, 1888; Henry F. Bowers, builder, 1904–05 addition).


John Woolley House, 2506 Dwight Way at Regent Street (1876), City of Berkeley Landmark; listed in the State Historic Resources Inventory. To its left stands the Ellen Blood House.


Ellen Blood House, 2508 Regent Street (R. Gray Frise, architect, 1891), City of Berkeley Landmark, Structure of Merit; listed in the State Historic Resources Inventory


Four landmarks on the east side of Regent Street. Standing opposite the Blodd House and the Woolley House are four houses built between 1901 and 1903, each designated a City of Berkeley Landmark, Structure of Merit. Lucinda Reames House No. 1, 2503 Regent Street (A. Dodge Coplin, architect, 1902–1903); Lucinda Reames House No. 2, 2509 Regent Street (A. Dodge Coplin, architect, 1903); William Wilkinson House, 2511 Regent Street (A. Dodge Coplin, architect, 1903); Mary J. Berg House, 2517 Regent Street (William Garfield May, builder, 1901).


Lucinda Reames House No. 1, 2503 Regent Street (A. Dodge Coplin, architect, 1902–1903), City of Berkeley Landmark, Structure of Merit; listed in the State Historic Resources Inventory


Alexander C. Stuart House, 2524 Dwight Way (Pissis & Moore, architects, 1891), City of Berkeley Landmark; listed in the State Historic Resources Inventory


George Edwards House, 2530 Dwight Way (A.H. Broad, designer-builder, 1886), City of Berkeley Landmark


Baptist Divinity School (American Baptist School of the West), 2606 Dwight Way (Julia Morgan, Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr. et al., architects, 1918–1964), City of Berkeley Landmark; listed in the State Historic Resources Inventory


Hobart Hall, Baptist Divinity School (American Baptist School of the West), 2606 Dwight Way (Julia Morgan, architect, 1918–19), City of Berkeley Landmark; listed in the State Historic Resources Inventory


Johnson Hall, Baptist Divinity School (American Baptist School of the West), 2606 Dwight Way (Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr., architect, 1953), City of Berkeley Landmark; listed in the State Historic Resources Inventory


Baptist Divinity School (American Baptist School of the West) portal, 2606 Dwight Way


Baptist Divinity School (American Baptist School of the West) campus quad (Julia Morgan, Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr. et al., architects, 1918–1964)


First Church of Christ, Scientist, 2619 Dwight Way (Bernard Maybeck, architect, 1910), National Historic Landmark; City of Berkeley Landmark

__________________

—> Part 2

Around People’s Park

Essays & Stories

Copyright © 2020 Daniella Thompson & BAHA. All rights reserved.