BAHA Preservation Awards 2014
Rose-Goldsmith House, before (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004)
Rose-Goldsmith House, after (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2013)
Josiah J. Rose-Goldsmith House
2919 Lorina Street
(Josiah J. Rose, builder, 1891)
Awarded for Restoration
This Queen Anne house was built in 1891 by Josiah John Rose, a carpenter who constructed numerous South Berkeley houses. It was designated a City of Berkeley Landmark in 1998. In June 2012, a two-alarm fire destroyed the rear of the house. The restoration process provided an opportunity to remove non-historic features and bring the house closer to its authentic Victorian roots, while upgrading structural, electrical, plumbing, heating, and roofing systems to 21st-century standards.
The kitchen after the fire, 2012 (courtesy of Michael Sewell)
The breakfast room, 2013 (courtesy of Michael Sewell)
Victorian decorative elements lost in the fire were replaced with bespoke period reproductions or with genuine period fixtures and elements obtained from salvage suppliers. Both exterior and interior were painted in the exuberant colors found in the Victorian palette.
The parlor, 2013 (courtesy of Michael Sewell)
Sharp House, before (courtesy of Bill Mastin)
Sharp House, after (courtesy of Bill Mastin)
William Sharp House
2723 Webster Street
(F. E. Allen, designer & builder, 1907)
Awarded for Restoration
“Building a new house with the old house in the way” was how architect Bill Mastin described the task before him in restoring a house damaged by fire, smoke, and water. Although this house did not burn to the ground, it was a total loss. The footprint and layout were retained, but almost everything else in the rebuilt house is new: foundation, shear walls, and construction from the dining room to the rear of the original house. Some trim, woodwork, and flooring were salvaged and refurbished.
The kitchen after the fire (courtesy of Bill Mastin)
A highlight of the “new house” is in the dining room, where a fireplace chimney was removed. This created a light, open effect in what had been a dark room. Skylights “up the chimney” now bring in natural light. The change also allowed for a pass-through, with a counter retaining the shape of the original fireplace and chimney. The kitchen, remodeled in the 1990s, has been rearranged, and an open arch leading to a back alcove was recreated. The recent remodel now includes a tidy rear deck overlooking the garden.
The rebuilt kitchen (courtesy of Bill Mastin)
The rear, before (courtesy of Bill Mastin)
The rear, after (photo: Carrie Olson, 2014)
Other rooms and areas of the house also received improvements. The front porch roof has been extended and is supported by handsome new columns. The bathroom sports a commodious walk-in shower in place of the bathtub, while a sleeping porch at the rear was changed to one large room under a new gabled roof, to the benefit of roomers upstairs. Quoting the architect, “A damaged piece of Elmwood’s architectural fabric has been repaired on Webster Street by a threading together of old and new.”
Standard Die Building, before (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2005)
Berkeley Kitchens, 2013 (courtesy of Jonah Hendrickson)
Berkeley Kitchens (Standard Die & Specialty Company)
2701 Eighth Street
(The Austin Company, architects, 1924)
Awarded for Adaptive Reuse
Jonah Henderson had not intended to develop a center for entrepreneurial food preparers. However, after several persons seeking rental facilities suitable for food preparation approached him, he realized that such a facility would serve a community need and be fun as well. After searching for a suitable site, he found a complex of industrial buildings on the corner of Eighth and Carleton streets. Built over time for succesive owners on a single parcel, this was the home of the Nexus Gallery and Collective for three decades. After Nexus moved out in 2006, the buildings, designated a City of Berkeley Landmark, stood empty.
One of the kitchens (courtesy of Jonah Hendrickson)
The ground floor is currently occupied by fifteen food manufacturing enterprises who supply the local markets. Each workspace includes a sink and oven, items that add to the expenses of a fledgling business if it has to provide them itself. The walls throughout are gleaming white, underscoring the sense of cleanliness and sanitation.
A studio space on the second floor (courtesy of Jonah Hendrickson)
Offices and artist studios are located on the second floor. Although only one red brick wall of the original building remains, the owners have incorporated some of the rails from the track of the railroad spur line that served West Berkeley when it was an industrial site.
The Carleton Street fašade (courtesy of Jonah Hendrickson)
Copyright © 2014 BAHA. All rights reserved.