BAHA Preservation Awards 2017
Sarah E. Kellogg House (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2017)
Sarah E. Kellogg House
2960 Linden Avenue
(Maybeck & White, architects, 1902)
Awarded for Rehabilitation
Contractor: Thomas Pedemonte
Built as a small rental house, this chraming Arts & Crafts residence was moved from Regent Street in 1959 and has been featured on two BAHA house tours. The house has undergone several major alterations. Behind the great two-story, redwood-paneled public room, the kitchen and other rooms have been continually altered to make better use of the space. The current work was tastefully done and included refinishing the floors in a lighter shade.
Flagg Studio (photo: courtesy of Arkin Tilt Architects)
(photo courtesy of Arkin Tilt Architects)
Isaac Flagg Studio
1208 Shattuck Avenue
(Bernard Maybeck, architect, 1906)
Awarded for Sensitive Remodel and Addition
Architects: Arkin Tilt Architects, Anni Tilt & Tom Beil
Contractor: Cerami Builders, Paul Cerami, Jason Foster, John Grimsich & Cyril Grimsich
Interior Consultant: Annette Zavala
Professor Isaac Flagg’s tidy writing studio adjacent to the his residence on Shattuck Avenue has been turned into an exquisite jewel box redwood home. A separate private residence for many years, the Maybeck–designed cottage now features an expanded kitchen, a full first-floor bathroom, a laundry room, and a new deck addition. While these new spaces were being created, earlier accretions at the back of the house were removed, an outer wall exposed, French doors and a kitchen window added, and the general flow—spatial and visual—improved. The redwood sheathing and trim were maintained. Any needed lumber was salvaged from earlier projects and reused. New lighting fixtures, inspired by stenciling on the beamed ceilings, were fabricated. The house, situated at the rear of a large front garden, remains a refuge for inspiration and quiet living.
Hillside School (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2017)
1581 Le Roy Avenue
(Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr., architect, 1925)
Awarded for Restoration
Construction Manager: Gerry Morris
Roofer: Reimund Kroeck
The 1923 Berkeley Fire destroyed the original Hillside School on the corner of Le Roy Avenue and Virginia Street. The School District commissioned architect Walter Ratcliff to design a larger structure on a hillside site nearby, at Le Roy Ave. and Buena Vista Way. That structure served Berkeley public school children until 1983, when it was closed. Several private schools and artist groups used the building until about five years ago, when the BUSD declared it surplus property and sold the building and its playground to the German International School of Silicon Valley (GISSV).
To ready the building for the German language elementary school program, much interior sprucing up took place. All the floors were refinished, the bathrooms updated. The auditorium was readied for assembly and performance usages after a wall on the stage was removed and the curtains replaced. The main hall through the building was lightened considerably by the exposing of the large skylights that had been covered over.
But it is the exterior that pleases neighbors and parents the most. The windows have been repaired and repainted, while the original slate roof was removed, and a new one installed (a labor of at least a year!).
The Hillside School now stands majestically across the escarpment of the steep hill, awaitingits next owner and, we hope, a new generation of pupils.
Copyright © 2017 BAHA. All rights reserved.