Berkeley Landmarks :: 2020 Designations
  


Berkeley Landmarks designated in 2020




Dilley House when new (Roger Sturtevant, Pencil Points, May 1944)

335.
Grace Stearns Dilley House
Francis Joseph McCarthy (1940)
1399 Queens Road
Designated: 6 February 2020


Dilley House today (photo: Maria Sakovich, 2019)

Grace Stearns Dilley and her college-age daughter, Marguerite, wanted their future Berkeley home, on a lot high in the hills amid Eucalyptus groves, to be a one-room rustic cabin with exposed rafters, a fireplace, and a lean-to kitchen and bath. However, upon submitting her floor plan to the FHA for a construction loan, Mrs. Dilley was told that a licensed architect must draw the plans. Enter Francis Joseph McCarthy, recommended by friends.

Under no circumstances did the Dilleys want a modern house, but that is what they got, and they soon came to appreciate McCarthy’s thoughtful Second Bay Tradition design, which includes a double shed roof; clerestory windows for light and tree views; and window walls oriented toward San Francisco Bay.


West façade (Roger Sturtevant, Pencil Points, May 1944)

As a concession to FHA requirements, a bedroom was added, but the redwood-sided house still comprises only 740 square feet. Almost all of the original architectural features, finishes, and even some of the furnishings and appliances remain.


McCarthy’s floor plan (Pencil Points, May 1944)

Francis Joseph McCarthy (1910–1965), whose design career extended from about 1930 to 1965, was trained in the office of William Wurster, among other architectural firms. According to his biography, “McCarthy opened his own practice in San Francisco in 1938. His work encompassed numerous residential, municipal, and commercial commissions throughout California, including a hospital and health center for the County of Inyo, alterations to the Palace Hotel (San Francisco), and the Electronic Engineering Associates Building (San Carlos). In addition, McCarthy specialized in library buildings, designing the Stanford University Library, Santa Rosa Public Library, and Inyo County Public Library, among others.”


Living room & bedroom (Roger Sturtevant, Pencil Points, May 1944)

The house is important for its association with the noted puppeteers Grace Stearns Dilley and her husband, Perry Dilley, who introduced marionettes and guignol to the people of California. Both were deeply involved in the Bay Area’s creative and bohemian community of the first half of the 20th century. The house was designated for that association and for the way in which it expresses and preserves Bay Region design traditions and represents a good example of McCarthy’s work and part of the history of residential and cultural development in Berkeley.

The landmark application and associated reports are accessible online.




Whittemore/Woodworth House (courtesy of the owners)

336.
Whittemore/Woodworth House
Builder unknown, c. 1889
2043 Lincoln Street
Designated: 5 March 2020

This Queen Anne cottage was found by the Landmarks Preservation commission to be an outstanding example of its style, featuring a steeply pitched roof of irregular shape, with a dominant front-facing gable; asymmetrical façade with a partial-width porch and spindlework ornamentation; patterned shingles; gable ornamentation; bay windows; dentils; large panes of glass bounded by smaller panes; and overhangs accentuated by corner brackets.

The house is one of the earliest houses constructed in the two-block Golden Gate Homestead tract, which was subdivided in 1887 by Thomas F. Graber, a lawyer and landowner who at various times in the 19th century served as Berkeley’s City Attorney, City Clerk, and Trustee. A number of the buildings in the tract have been altered, and this cottage is a rare example of a mostly intact Victorian representing the style and character of the early days of this residential neighborhood.

The first owner of this house was Rev. Everett T. Whittemore, founding pastor of Berkeley’s First Baptist Church. The second owners were Charles W. and Leonora Woodworth. Prof. Woodworth founded the Department of Entomology at the University of California and taught there from 1891 until his retirement in 1930.

The landmark application and associated reports are accessible online.


The Luttrell House in 1939 (Ormsby Donogh files, BAHA archives)

337.
Captain James F. & Cecilia M. Luttrell House
Ira Alton Boynton, 1889
2328 Channing Way
Designated: 2 July 2020


The Luttrell House today (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2020)

The James & Cecilia Luttrell House is an almost perfectly preserved Queen Anne Victorian that retains the vast majority of its original façade elements. Constructed in 1889, it was the fourth house built on Block 5 of the College Homestead Association tract and is now the oldest structure standing on Assessor’s Block 1883, as well as the least altered one.

The Luttrell House is one of a handful surviving local buildings attributed to or known to have been designed by Ira A. Boynton (1844–1921), a Maine-born pioneer builder who practiced in Berkeley from 1877 until 1900. In 1889, the year of construction of the Luttrell House, Boynton and his partner, Carlos Reuben Lord, built 29 structures, including the Peralta Park Hotel and six houses in the new Peralta Park subdivision, where the Julius Alfred Lueders House and the Anita Fallon House are still standing. In 1892–03, Boynton built the Edward A. Brakenridge House, a designated landmark at 1410 Bonita Avenue. Boynton is also said (albeit without solid evidence) to have built the landmark Samuel C. Clark Cottage, aka Morning Glory House (c. 1886–87) at 2009 Berkeley Way.

The present house was constructed for Captain James F. Luttrell (1858–1899) and his wife, Cecilia (1856–1934). The captain was a well-known figure in Pacific maritime circles, and his name frequently appeared in the San Francisco newspapers during the 1890s. Commanding trading ships on the South Pacific islands route, Captain Luttrell served as an important source of news about activities in the South Seas islands and reports on other captains and ships plying the Pacific Ocean. Mrs. Luttrell accompanied her husband on some of his voyages.

The Luttrell House is listed in the State Historic Resources Inventory with the status code 3S (Appears eligible for the National Register as an individual property through survey evaluation). It retains integrity of location, design, materials, setting, feeling, and association.

The landmark application and associated reports are accessible online.


  

Copyright © 2020 BAHA. All rights reserved.